Thursday, March 03, 2011

If your world isn't the way you want it, CHANGE IT!

I hear quite often the line "how wonderful to work with your hobby, I wish I could do that to". And I allways think "Yes it is" and then I tell them that they can do that too. And then it often goes like this "yeah but" that's the first obstacle (wrong mindset). Then there's some kind of excuse like, I don't have the time to train that much to become that good because I must work to make money and a lot of other things. That's the second obstacle (excuses)

Here come's the shocking news. To be able to train myself that much I worked a lot more than the average employee! To get the money and the freedom to "tweak" my schedule I worked harder and more than I needed to gain leverage for my needs.

When I worked as a Product manager in an electronic company I planned as much as I could to fit my workouts. I traveled a lot around Scandinavia and always visited a club for training if there where sleepovers. (instead of being lazy at the hotel)

I worked 8 months in Finland the early 90's and there where no Clubs around. I kept doing a routine workout EVERY day even though we worked 12 hours a day.

When me and a friend started a company at the airport of Gothenburg we where unexperienced and had to learn entrepreneurship the hard way. Our average workweek consisted of 60-80 hours (sometimes more) and still I managed to workout everyday, started up a new martial art club, become a father and managed to win the world championships in full contact stick-fighting.
I don't recommend it and it's not to brag.

I just want to share the idea that it is possible!


The lesson here is this: If you want to have more freedom at work you make sure that you deliver more than they need. Now you have some leverage and everybody gain something. If you want to workout at lunch you can begin work 30 min earlier and stay 30 min longer. Thats what I did when I worked at a computer company, I joined Shooters Shoot-fighting at their lunch workouts and needed a longer lunch.

So whatever you want to do and whatever you want to accomplish, you have to change the circumstances to make it possible!

Change your world to the way you want it!

No comments: